Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The Hurricane

Rubin "Hurricane" Carter, a middleweight boxer with a intimidating presence in the ring and a knockout punch to back it up. After building up the reputation as a unstoppable force, his nickname Hurricane came about. But in 1966, he was falsely accused of 3 counts of murder and was found guilty in court. His sentence was life in prison with no chance for parole. He would serve 20 years in prison before his appeal was granted to review new evidence in front of a federal judge. He was then found not guilty. During his incarceration, many people protested against his previous verdicts. Muhammad Ali spoke out in Rubin's defense  and my favorite, Bob Dylan wrote a song called "Hurricane". 

To sum it up, I just saw the movie about Rubin "Hurricane" Carter titled "The Hurricane". It was a piece of history I'm glad I learned. How Justice failed him for 20 years but he never gave up. It kinda makes me think of how lucky I've had life so far. Just one more reminder that everyday is special. Checkout Bob's song at the bottom of this post. I've heard it a thousand times, but never knew it was a true story.