Monday, November 23, 2009

The Mattos Wedding






58 days ago my best friend Zack married the girl of his dreams. A good quote that Zack said at his wedding was, “I remember when we first started dating… I put her name in my phone as wifey because I knew she was the one”! It just so turned out he was right. As an observer to his prediction, one of there first dates was a double with me. While Zack is out of his seat animating his story for the table, he swings his arms back and accidently punches a waitress walking behind him. A million things must have been going through his head at that moment but I can tell you the number one thought he had was how he blew it with Katy. After watching Katy’s reaction, it was clear that she was in love with this “accident prone monkey” and that a lifelong bond would soon begin.

The time had come to tie the knot and I have to say Katy did not disappoint. The wedding was held at a beautiful resort in Coronado CA where most of us stayed. All the old friends and families were there making it the best place to be. I shared a room with the best man racking up a bill more then my mom gave me for the weekend.

When the ceremony began, things became surreal. Here I am standing just feet away from my best friend getting married and it seems like yesterday we were skating Los Altos waiting for our parents to pick us up. Hearing them say there vowels and looking into each others eyes gave me the upmost confidence that these “I do’s” would last forever. Katy composed herself very well for the emotions she must have been going through. To my surprise, after knowing Zack for over 14 years, he broke down with a waterfall of tears. This truly was the happiest day of his life.

After shooting wedding photos on the beach, everyone went inside and partied like 1948 (good year to party). I think the whole town heard that wedding and the good times didn’t stop until the sun came up. A few goodbye the next morning in zombie mode and then I was on my way to an extended extended vacation that got extended again. Basically I missed a bunch of flights and didn’t leave SD for 2 or 3 weeks.

Zack: You are more then a friend, you’re a brother from a different mother. I can’t tell you how happy I am for you and your new life with Katy. I really must stress that you should never dive in a pool again. Good luck buddy.

Katy: You are an unbelievable woman. Confident, strong, independent. You’d have to be for what I can only image you’ve gone through to handle a guy like Zack. I’m so proud to call you a friend because your heart is pure. We’ve always had a good laugh over Molly’s fly by bombings in my room and would like to say I’m no longer mad. Congratulations on your marriage. I wish you two a happy life together with all my heart.

-colt